Extended Validation Certificates
Guys, Sorry its been too long since I last posted hear. I was busy dealing with some security related issues, Specially PCI Compliance.
Today, I am going to share my knowledge about Extended Validation Certificates.
I will discuss following things:
- What is Extended Validation Certificate?
- How Extended Validation Certificate works?
- Why online business require EV Certificate?
- Who are Providers of EV certificates?
- What documents are require?
What is Extended Validation Certificate?
Answer: Extended Validation Certificates (EV) are very special X.509 certificate which requires more extensive investigation of the requesting entity by the certificate authority (CA) before being issued. In normal terms Extended Validation is new generation of certificate which intended to user to give more confidence on website where they are using/providing their personal or financial information. It also assure end user that you legal identity which is verified by certificate authority.
How Extended Validation Certificate works?
Answer: High Security Browser like latest version of Internet Explorer, Firefox checks in background when an SSL certificate has been authenticated using Extended Validation. It will also check about https in web address with pad lock, browser web address bar turns address bar in GREEN. You can also notice legal identity name to which the Extended Validation Certificate has been issued.
Why online business require EV Certificate?
Answer: Do you own website where users are providing their sensible financial as well as personal information? If yes, you must use Extended Validation Certificate. It helps your user to confidence in your website. They know you are what you are claiming. You are not any phishing site identical like your website. They knows about your organization and validate your information. Please check my previous blog for phishing
Who are Providers of EV certificates?
Answer: There couple of providers of Extended Validation Certificate. Following are provider of EV Certificate:
- DIGICERT’S EV CERTIFICATE
- SWISSSIGN’S SSL GOLD EV CERTIFICATE
- ENTRUST’S EV CERTIFICATE
- TRUSTWAVE’S PREMIUM EV SSL
- NETWORK SOLUTIONS’ SITESAFE SSL EXTENDED VALIDATION
- VERISIGN’S SECURE SITE WITH EV
- VERISIGN’S SECURE SITE PRO WITH EV
- GLOBALSIGN’S EXTENDEDSSL
- GODADDY’S PREMIUM (EV) CERTIFICATE
- GEOTRUST’S TRUE BUSINESSID WITH EV
- COMODO’S EV SSL
- COMODO’S EV SGC
- THAWTE’S SSL WEB SERVER CERTIFICATE WITH EV
What documents are require to get your self Extended Validation Certificate?
Answer: As per CA/Browser Forum. It also include that Certificate Authority may require more document if they are not satisfied with documents provided to them. Following Information/Documents are required for Extended Validation Certificate:
Applicant information SHALL include, but not be limited to, the following information:
- Organization Name: The Applicant’s formal legal organization name to be included in the EV Certificate, as recorded with the Incorporating or Registration Agency in the Applicant’s Jurisdiction of Incorporation or Registration (for Private Organizations), or as specified in the law of the political subdivision in which the Government Entity operates (for Government Entities), or as registered with the government business Registration Agency (for Business Entities);
- Assumed Name (Optional): The Applicant’s assumed name (e.g., DBA name) to be included in the EV Certificate, as recorded in the jurisdiction of the Applicant’s Place of Business, if requested by the Applicant;
- Domain Name: The Applicant’s Domain Name(s) to be included in the EV Certificate;
- Jurisdiction of Incorporation or Registration: The Applicant’s Jurisdiction of Incorporation or Registration to be included in the EV Certificate, and consisting of:
1) City or town (if any),
2) State or province (if any), and
- Incorporating or Registration Agency: The name of the Applicant’s Incorporating or Registration Agency;
- Registration Number: The Registration Number assigned to the Applicant by the Incorporating or Registration Agency in the Applicant’s Jurisdiction of Incorporation or Registration and to be included in the EV Certificate. If the Incorporating or Registration Agency does not issue Registration Numbers, then the date of Incorporation or Registration SHALL be collected;
- Applicant Address: The address of the Applicant’s Place of Business, including –
(A) Building number and street,
(B) City or town,
(C) State or province (if any),
(E) Postal code, and
(F) Main telephone number.
Note : I found really helpful link which compares them and providing really good information about it. Extended Validation Comparition.